Warning: This will be the most boring blog post ever, but I just need to communicate this to future self.
At home I have problems printing PDFs from SendRegning, the online invoicing service I’m using. I don’t know if the problem is with the printer or if the PDFs are ill-formatted. Anyway, after having battled the files for close to two hours, I’ve found a way of using GhostScript to convert them from PDF to JPG. The JPGs print just fine.
In Terminal, cd into the folder containing the file to convert and run:
Over the past year I have had the pleasure to serve as assistant supervisor for Line Horneland’s master thesis project “Lyden i mellomrommet” (The sound in-between) at Stord/Haugesund University College. Magne Ingolv Espeland has been the main supervisor.
The master thesis is a critical reflection on various aspects of artistic development relating to the interactive vocal installation “Lyden i mellomrommet”. The installation was open to the public at Sola ruinkirke in January 2016.
When installing in Førde last week, we experienced a new issue with playback of fullscreen movies from QuickTime. Initially this would work well, but after a while some of the projectors would start displaying the mouse again, with a pink glow. Apparently we are not the only ones to have experienced this.
As pretty as mouse cursors with pink glow might be, they really didn’t belong to this project. Getting rid of them turned into a convoluted AppleScript hack that I’d like to blog, as there’s no way that I’ll remember how we solved this two years from now.
I’ve used AppleScript to control fullscreen playback of movies in the past, but the script just got a whole more convoluted. The trick to solve the issue turned out to require a programatic move and clicking of the mouse every so often, followed by a fullscreen command.
AppleScript does not in itself have any commands to move the mouse, so I first had to install AppleScript Toolbox. This is a a toolbox that extends AppleScript in a number of ways. Once downloaded and unzipped, the file needed to be copied to the /Library/ScriptingAdditions folder.
Next I had to modify my earlier script and add an idle section. The return value makes this execute every 20 seconds.
Finally, when saving, I had to save as an application, and make sure that “Stay open after run handler” is checked, as illustrated below.
The compiled application can be downloaded here. When unzipped, right-click and open in Script Editor in order to modify the username and filename before saving again. You can set this file as a login item, and have the movie play automatically when the computer starts.
I just checked out the ability to embed nested projects in Reaper. The above video explains how this works, and this is a killer feature.
The below screen shot shows what the master Reaper project looked like for the Atmospherics 3 installation at Bomuldsfabrikken in Arendal a year ago. As you can see my approach was to compose a series of sonic scenes. Each scene would last for several minutes, typically 3-7 minutes. Each scene would be developed as a separate Reaper project, and rendered. All scenes were then assembled and sequenced, with appropriate transitions from one scene to the next.
One of the limitations of this workflow was that it was cumbersome to go back into the scene projects from the master project if they needed to be adjusted further. By embedding each scene as a subproject it will be much easier to go back and forth between composing each scene in detail, and working on how it fits into the larger picture.
I’ve spent the first part of the day doing some further refinement to the GUI for the 4 channel equalizer developed over the past few days. That turned out to be a good thing, as I discovered several bugs while working on the visualisation.
Now i’m contemplating if all eq curves for Atmospherics should be set up to map mountains, valleys and fiords in Sogn & Fjordane.